December 14, 2015

Abstract, Rejoinder by Richard L. Harris

:::::: Abstract ::::::

by Richard L. Harris

Rhys Jenkins says I present a “rosy” view of China’s relations with Latin America and the Caribbean, and he contends I made “surprisingly few references” to the academic literature on these relations. I find this comment to be rather hypocritical, since his publications ignore the Chinese literature on this subject. Like most Western scholars, Jenkins is dismissive of what the Chinese have to say. I have lived, taught, and carried out research in the People’s Republic of China. It is hard for me to understand how the Chinese view of China’s relations with Latin America and the Caribbean can be ignored by most Western scholars and the media. My article exposes and criticizes these kinds of biases in the current Western production of knowledge on China–Latin American and Caribbean relations. It is not meant to be a thorough review of the academic literature on this subject.
Kevin Gallagher and Roberto Porzecanski’s book The Dragon in the Room: China …

CLICK TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE

Latin American Perspectives
November 2015 vol. 42 no. 6 195-196

No comments:

Post a Comment